Constipation can be a serious problem. Miralax works by using a mechanism that is specific to this condition. What is the scientific basis of Miralax? Let’s unravel the science behind Miralax’s constipation-relieving prowess. Read more now on how does miralax work?
Miralax contains polyethyleneglycol 3350 as its active ingredient. This makes it an laxative that works by osmosis. This laxative works by drawing water to the colon. It is here that stool is produced and stored. Miralax is designed to treat constipation by drawing water into the colon, where stool forms and is stored.
1. Miralax travels to the digestive system after consumption. Rather than being absorbed directly into the bloodstream it is absorbed primarily in the colon. Miralax is a product with osmotic effects. Water moves from an area where there is less solute to one with more. This natural process of osmosis occurs. Miralax is the solute.
2. Miralax Water Absorption: Miralax, as it remains in the colon for a period of time, acts like a solute, drawing water out of surrounding tissues, and to a certain extent from the bloodstream. Water softens the stools by enhancing their moisture. It results in a softer, bulkier stool.
3. Stool Softening: Softened stools are crucial to comfortable bowel movements. A dry, hard stool will cause straining during elimination. Miralax improves the smoothness of the stool.
4. Peristalsis Natural: A softened, bulkier stool will trigger natural rhythmic colon contractions. These contractions move the stool along the digestive system, making it easier for the stool to pass from the colon up into the rectum. This mimics your body’s own mechanism to encourage bowel movements.
5. Miralax has a gradual, predictable and controlled action. Miralax has a gentler effect than laxative stimulants, which may cause sudden and rapid bowel movements. Miralax is a great option for anyone who wants to feel better without being interrupted by their routine.
Miralax has a very effective mechanism, but its action onset can be unpredictable. Miralax’s effects usually take between 12 and 48 hours to become apparent. Timing can vary depending on factors like metabolism, diet and hydration.
Miralax, therefore, is an osmotic device that works by absorbing water in the colon. This results in a softer, bulkier stool. This softer effect helps to promote comfortable bowel movement by making the passage of stool easier. Miralax works gradually, which is why it’s a favorite among many people who are suffering from constipation.